Thursday, June 4, 2009

Letter From LAD President

Dear LAD members:
 
It has been my pleasure to be your LAD president for two terms, and I want to say many thanks to my wonderful executive board, members at large, chapter representatives, and all members. It has been a very rewarding experience for me, serving the Deaf community, the Hard of Hearing, and the Deaf-Blind, especially during the crisis times of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Gustav. I learned a lot about the many different ways LAD can offer assistance to those in need. 
 
Though the experiences we had with the hurricanes were a very sad time for all of us, I believe we were brought closer together through them. It helped us learn how to work together regardless of how bad the disaster was. During the Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita periods, LAD received a lot of donations from different organizations and people. LAD was able to donate all of that money to people who had to evacuate and who lost their homes because of the flooding caused by the hurricanes. I hope those people will be able to return to their homes and have normal lives again.
 
The LAD had a once in a lifetime opportunity to host the National Association of the Deaf conference in New Orleans last summer.  Because of the dedication of our members, LAD was able to take the responsiblity of providing manpower for the week. I want to express my gratitude to those members who served on committees. They did an outstanding job, coming together as a team, and being responsible to follow through on their committments.  Their efforts made a huge contribution to the success of the conference.  I received many compliments from the NAD and others who recognized their many hours of work.   They represented Louisiana well and I will never forget this memorable experience.
 
Last November, LAD celebrated its 100th Year Annviversary, with almost 200 people in attendance for the festivities. It was a day of great fun and fellowship as we looked back over LAD's one hundred years.  And everyone enjoyed the variety shows and lots of good food. How exciting that LAD is still standing strong after one hundred years and now has another one hundred years to look forward to!
 
I hope that I will see all of you this Saturday, June 6, for the 46th Biennial LAD Conference. It will be held at the Embassy Suites Hotel in Baton Rouge. thought I have decided that I will not run for Presidency again, the new president that you elect will have my support and help.

It has been my privelege to be your president.  Many thanks to all for the tremendous experience and the fullfillment of serving the Louisiana Deaf community.

Randall Pippins, Sr.
LAD President

No comments:

Post a Comment